Saturday, January 06, 2007

2006 Resolution Review

In January last year, I made some resolutions (I later added number 8 and number 9)

I reviewed them in May, and now is the time, following a whole year, to review them again.

Here they are:

1. Learn to play the sax
2. Learn to speak Italian again
3. Watch more films
4. Try to get less injuries
5. Make a good attempt at the ITEX walk
6. Do as much travelling as possible
7. Get more sleep
8. Spend more time exploring London
9. Complete the BBC Big Read Top 100 book list (which I've already been attempting for the past two years, I'm 45 books in!)

So, the results:

1. Learn to play the sax

Utterly unsuccessful! A definite carry-over for this year though, as I have an IOU from my lovely brother for some lessons and a trial hire period. I suspect that once I live in a house (with John, yay!) practising will be more practical than being in a flat, so I'll wait until then - and then I'll need to make sure that I make time for it!

2. Learn to speak Italian again

Again, unsuccessful - although I have the beginnings of doing it with the Pimsleur language CD's provided by my bro. Another carry-over...!

3. Watch more films

This one has gone quite well. Although, as John has said, it perhaps would have been even more successful as 'fall asleep watching more films'! A carry-over for this year I think - especially as Stephen is currently building his collection of these films! (And I've watched five today!)

4. Try to get less injuries

Success! I've not had any really major injuries or accidents - although the ITEX walk did some ligament damage to my previously ok right knee, so now it matches the left one! Apart from that, all was well, thankfully!

5. Make a good attempt at the ITEX walk

Success! I did 26 miles (more here) and that was all I could have done - although physically and mentally I could have done a bit more, I was glad I stopped when I did when I realised how my knees felt afterwards!

6. Do as much travelling as possible

A definite success here! I've been to Edinburgh and Glasgow, Aberdeen, Jersey 7 times, Las Vegas, Paris, Edinburgh again, Singapore, Bali, Lombok, Toronto, Tallinn, Istanbul, New Zealand, Thailand and Cambodia. Phew. I've been on 26 short haul and 10 long haul flights... and yes, I've bought some trees in an attempt to compensate for my carbon footprint (probably not enough though, may need to get some more!).

With trips to Egypt and Chile, Easter Island, San Francisco and Las Vegas planned for next year, as well as the regular trips to Jersey, I suspect this one will carry-over by default!

7. Get more sleep

A success, pretty much! I managed to get a reasonable amount of rest over the summer, and my hours at work have evened out a bit too, so that helps!

8. Spend more time exploring London

Hmmm. Not quite so much of a success - I've been to more bars and restaurants, but as I said in May, that wasn't really the point of the resolution!

9. Complete the BBC Big Read Top 100 book list (which I've already been attempting for the past two years, I'm 45 books in!)

Also not a success - yet! I'm determined to carry on though. I'm three away from the top 21 (War and Peace, Birdsong and Great Expectations to go) and have read about 60 of the top 100 in total. So, getting there, slowly!

On balance, pretty successful. A number of carry-overs for this year though... and I think that means my list of resolutions for 2007 looks like this:

Carry-overs...

1. Learn to play the sax
2. Learn to speak Italian again
3. Watch more films
4. Travel lots
5. Complete the Top 100 Book list

And some new ones...

6. Complete the ITEX walk (upgrading from last year!)
7. Get rid of some weight, and exercise more
8. Take lots of photos and learn how to use my new camera properly

I may, as last year, think of some more, which I'll add if I do! But, those are they for now!

No comments: