Monday, May 15, 2006

Damn we're grown up

For the second time in as many weeks, I'm getting some inspiration for a post from Steve's blog (and stealing the wording of the title too). This is not good, it's got to stop. But, in the meantime, it kind of illustrates the point of this post...

Because we are grown up, in more ways than one. The title is prompted by Steve's comment on his blog describing me and accompanying a photo of me (a particularly horrendous photo, but he will be correcting that on threat of death - won't you Steve?!?) in a post about his birthday celebrations on Friday - which were really good. And mean he's a year older, so he is grown up in that sense, but he actually means something slightly different.

It's taken Steve and I a lot of time and effort to get to the stage of friendship and understanding which we enjoy now. When we spilt up (for he is my ex, just in case you don't know that) we were forced to deal with everything pretty quickly for a variety of reasons, and I firmly believe that forced us into establishing a strong and determined friendship. Had we not had that push, I'm not sure what would have happened. Maybe we would have worked things out to the stage they are at now anyway, but it would probably have been a whole lot harder and more complicated.

I'm very proud of us. We've built a strong and supportive friendship, although a lot of people don't understand how we have. I'm not sure I do all the time either, but I don't really care to analyse it too much, because it works, and that's what's important.

I've had another experience recently where I've had to draw on that kind of strength. I've learnt the true value of being open and honest with each other, of being realistic about your own strengths and weaknesses, and most importantly I've learnt that a sensible approach to things can ensure that people don't get hurt. Oh, and I've learnt the value of rhythm too.

Strong and lasting friendships are built on the basis of being sensible, honest and grown up.

Pictures from the weekend and various other recent things are in the usual place: here.

No comments: