Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Paris - the account

So. A fantastic time was had. We saw lots, ate lots, and drank lots. John was a wonderful tour guide, allowing just the right amount of time in each place, not rushing too much, and being really flexible. I also managed (and this may surprise some of you) to be completely the follower all weekend. See, see, I can do it when I want to (although that's what I did in Rome, and that nearly ended in tears because as I wasn't taking responsibility for anything, I then got very drunk! Thankfully that didn't happen in Paris!)

We got the Eurostar from Waterloo on Friday evening (I even managed to leave work on time!) and arrived in Paris about 10.30. We were both tired, so no exploring was done on the Friday night, but the hotel was in a fab location, and had air conditioning (although it left a little to be desired, it succeeded in making sure the room wasn't hot, but didn't actually manage to make it cool). After possibly the best sleep I've had in weeks, we were up and about in time for breakfast on Saturday and then into the Briden Paris TourTM. First, Foulcault's Pendulum in the Pantheon. John did try to get me to understand how it works, but I just don't. I also want to know why there's a black marble cat next to it. Then, it was on to the Ile de la Cite, in an attempt to get the best ice cream in Paris, which was foiled by the fact that the shop had closed for August - on the 29 July. Go figure... but we still had ice cream. Then we strolled past Notre Dame, and on to Saint Chapelle and the Palais du Justice. The glass in Saint Chapelle is real take-your-breath away stuff, and we spent a fair bit of time in there trying to work out the stories in each panel.

After that, we went back across the river to the Louvre. We did the 'top three' things, including the Mona Lisa (tiny, dirty, and massive crowds. The most impressive bit for me though I think was the ancient bits in the basement which were discovered when they were excavating for the creation of the pyramid.

We then went and had a rather nice steak, frites and beer lunch, and then wandered through the gardens by the Louvre to see Monet's Waterlillies in the recently re-opened Orangerie. I didn't take any photos in there, I didn't think I could do the paintings justice. John and I hatched a plan in pondering how much it would cost to have exclusive access for 20 minutes - the paintings are amazing, but I can't help but think how striking they would be without any one in there, in peace, without lots of tourists and flashing cameras.

After that, it was off to Napoleon's Tomb. Sightseeing'd out, we then retired to various bars, including rather famous one. More beers, and a very nice meal later, and our first day was complete.

Sunday bought a more relaxed day, a stroll around the Marais and Place des Vosges, and brunch. And then rain, lots and lots of rain. Which required doing what the natives do - getting more coffee, staying in the cafe, reading our books, and waiting for the rain to fade away. Which it duly did, and then before we knew it, we were speeding through the French countryside en route home (not so speedy through the Kent countryside, it's not high speed yet!)

All in all, it was a fantastic, restful and most enjoyable weekend. Thank you John. Venice next?

1 comment:

Linda said...

Sounds like a fantastic trip - you are turning into a culture vulture!

Ben has just done your 150 list and says he has done 93!!!!!!!!

love Mum xx