Sunday, October 30, 2005

Another summer's day has come and gone away

I completely forgot that the clocks had gone back when I woke up this morning. So there I am, getting ready to leave Na and Steve's for Kent... and then Na reminds me that actually it's only 8.40, not 9.40, and that not only am I therefore not late, I've also got her up an hour than she needed to be! Sorry Na!

The reason I had to be up was twofold... we spent Saturday night at No 28 having a games night. Otherwise known (this won't surprise most of my readers) as an excuse to eat food and get drunk and play board games. It was a very funny night, although us girls weren't quite as amused at the end of the session (2.30am!) when we lost to the boys, especially when there was two of them and three of us! Anyway, Na Steve and I walked back to theirs at 3am, leaving my car there, and I therefore had to get it, hence the need for a lift from Na, before heading off to Kent. The walk home was special in itself, it's been a very long time since I walked home drunk in the early hours of the morning in Hatfield with the birds!

Once I'd impressed my mum and my nan by turning up in Broadstairs on time (more by luck than design due to my timing problem above!) we had a lovely day. Went for a pub lunch, and, although we didn't, it was easily warm enough to sit outside. At the end of October. Weird. Lovely though.

I particularly enjoyed getting out in the countryside and seeing autumn evolving in the wintry sunlight, checking out all our favourite old landmarks and visiting places. The only thing which disturbed me was that it was dark by 5pm... although that made for a good drive home because I sat in the outside lane for most of the M2 and cruised along at a decent speed, with Classic FM to accompany me.

I have moments (they are rare, and I haven't had one for a while) where Classic is just what I need for a longish drive. It's stimulating enough to keep me awake, but calm enough to prevent me from getting road rage with those irritating Sunday drivers. And there are a lot of those in Kent. One of our childhood pastimes used to be to count the number of three wheelers... today's count was 11.

I have my new camera now too. Although I've not had much chance to use it yet, and definitely haven't worked out the settings etc to get the most of it, check out my Flickr site here to see the results of my efforts. Expect more to come. I'm a snappy snappy photographer rather than a selective perfect shot photographer, so I plan on populating the site with a fair few photos over the next few weeks.

The title, by the way, is from Michael Buble's 'Home', which I've become rather hooked on recently. It's a Magic FM tune rather than a Classic FM tune though!

No comments: